Master of Science in Health Informatics
As healthcare makes dramatic strides to adopt new information and communication technologies, there is a growing demand for health informatics professionals. This rapidly-developing field is only beginning to unlock the vast promise of using electronic-based information to advance health care and ultimately improve the health of individuals and populations. The Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI) is a graduate professional degree designed to enhance the practice of health informatics by preparing students for career growth to mid-level and leadership positions within healthcare organizations, technology, and consulting firms. This health informatics online degree program is intended for students interested in the effective use of information technologies and systems to improve the quality, safety, efficiency, and affordability of healthcare.
The health informatics graduate program leverages the rich collective strengths, synergies, faculty, and resources of National University Center for Technology and Health Sciences and the Schools of Health and Human Services, Engineering and Computing, and Business and Management. Program study includes coursework related to:
- Information Systems – leadership and management of healthcare applications; including analysis, design, adoption, and optimization.
- Information Technology – effective use of database and systems administration, computer networks, security, programming, and wireless devices.
- Informatics – the structured language of healthcare, standards, data structures, health information exchange, decision support, care coordination, consumer health, socio-technical aspects of health computing, human-computer interaction, and evidenced-based practice.
Along with a broad understanding of health and human services, technology, information systems, leadership, and the culture of healthcare, students apply health informatics knowledge through experiential learning opportunities with case studies, research, simulations, and a capstone project. Graduates are prepared for various roles related to leveraging technology to enhance the collection, communication, exchange, aggregation, analysis, and use of information across the health care ecosystem.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Evaluate the healthcare delivery system in the US and the impact of social, cultural, political, economic, and environmental factors affecting the management and operation of healthcare organizations.
- Evaluate health data management standards, technologies and methods to improve the quality, efficiency, equity and safety of healthcare practice and organization.
- Develop policies and technologies to protect data integrity and validity, including information privacy and security policies and procedures.
- Develop strategies for improving healthcare delivery and achieving institutional strategic initiatives using information systems and technologies.
- Evaluate leadership principles and practices in health information technology staff development, technology adoption and change management in a healthcare organization.
- Evaluate a healthcare organization's processes and systems to ensure compliance with ethical, legal and regulatory mandates and professional standards of health information technology.
- Apply statistical and research methodologies to implement evidence-based health information technology management practice and healthcare quality improvement.
- Communicate knowledge of health information systems and technology to stakeholders of the healthcare ecosystem.
- HCA 600 U.S. Healthcare System
- HTM 552 EHR Meaningful Use
- CIS 601 Information Systems Strategies
- COH 602 Biostatistics
- HCA 626 Healthcare Information Systems
- HCA 622 Quality Appraisal & Evaluation
- COH 611 Public Health Research Methods
- HTM 660 System Management and Planning
- HTM 520 Health Information Exchange
- HTM 680 Health Informatics Case Study
- HTM 692 Health Informatics Capstone
- LED 604 Leading Change and Adaptation
- COH 613 Public Health Informatics
- HCA 663 Healthcare Accounting/Finance
- CIS 604 Management and Security
- CIS 606 End User Information Systems
- HCA 670 Healthcare Leadership
- HCA 691 Healthcare Internship