Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science
The Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Sciences provides students with diverse laboratory skills and prepares them for employment in a clinical or research setting. The program is designed to increase knowledge of the human body in health and disease with courses that include biochemistry, virology, immunology, physiology, chemistry, microbiology, hematology, quantitative analysis and molecular diagnostics. Graduates with a degree in clinical laboratory sciences may choose to find employment in areas such as clinical diagnostics, clinical research, medical device industry, or pursue advanced degrees in healthcare related fields of study.
This degree is also designed for students interested in becoming a licensed clinical laboratory scientist in the state of California. Students with this interest should review the requirements to obtain a trainee license from the Laboratory Field Services Branch of the California Department of Health: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OSPHLD/LFS/Pages/CLS-Trainee.aspx.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Assess clinical laboratory practice and procedure by applying the knowledge of technical skills and theory obtained.
- Identify problems in the clinical laboratory and establish a course of action to correct them.
- Distinguish among laboratory methods which use advanced analytical, immunological, microbiological, hematological, and molecular techniques.
- Evaluate laboratory procedure theory, methodology and results.
- Utilize critical thinking skills in Clinical Laboratory situations.
- Conduct research using primary literature sources.
- Produce written work of the standards required by employers in the industry or post graduate programs.
- BIO 161 General Biology 1
- BIO 201 Human Anatomy & Physiol I
- BIO 201A Human Anatomy & Physiol Lab I
- BIO 203 Introductory Microbiology
- BIO 203A Introductory Microbiology Lab
- CHE 150 Introductory Organic Chemistry
- CHE 150A Introductory Organic Chem Lab
- CHE 141 General Chemistry 1
- CHE 142 General Chemistry 2
- CHE 350 Organic Chemistry I
- PHS 104 Introductory Physics
- BST 322 Intro to Biomedical Statistics
- HSC 300 Legal/Ethical Issues & Hlth Pr
- CLS 320 Clinical Lab Management
- CLS 301 Clinical Biochemistry
- CLS 401 Quantitative Analysis
- CLS 305 Clinical Immunology
- CLS 315 Molecular Diagnostics
- CLS 310 Clinical Virology
- CLS 405 Clinical Microbiology
- CLS 410 Clinical Hematology
- CLS 495 Clinical Lab Science Capstone