Bachelor of Arts in English with an Inspired Teaching and Learning and a Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential (CALIFORNIA)
The BA in English with a preliminary California single subject teaching credential provides a rigorous education that prepares candidates for a career as a teacher of English at the middle and secondary school levels. The online bachelor’s degree in English program stresses literary analysis, diversity, and critical thinking and written and oral communication skills through a rigorous curriculum of literature, composition, language and linguistics, and communication studies. This program prepares candidates for professional work as single subject teachers in a changing cultural and economic environment. For additional information on credential requirements, please see the Sanford College of Education Credential Information section of the catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Knowledgeably discuss major writers, works, movements, and periods of the British and American literary traditions.
- Evaluate the relationship of marginalized or oppositional voices to the evolution of literary traditions and histories.
- Analyze literary works within their historical and cultural contexts.
- Analyze works of literature in the context of the conventions and histories of their genres.
- Analyze the use and effects of literary and rhetorical features of literary texts.
- Identify major critical approaches to the interpretation of literature.
- Compose sophisticated written works of literary analysis, incorporating appropriate close reading, research, and writing skills.
- LIT 100 Introduction to Literature
- LIT 311 British Literature I
- LIT 312 British Literature II
- LIT 321 American Literature I
- LIT 322 American Literature II
- LIT 360 Literary Theory
- LIT 410 African American Literature
- LIT 420 U.S. Latino Literature
- LIT 460 Gender and Literature
- ENG 350 Fundamentals of Linguistics
- LIT 338 Shakespeare
- LIT 365 Contemporary Literary Theory
- LIT 463 20th Century World Literature
- LIT 498 English Capstone Course