IHM 615 Nutrition and Fitness
Lead Faculty: Dr Patric M. Schiltz
Course DescriptionLeading a healthy, balanced life is dependent on many variables. Two important variables include a nutritious diet and daily physical activity. There are many elements to consider when developing a nutritious diet and creating a lifestyle in which movement and activity are integral to our day. Understanding these elements helps us make informed choices about how we nourish our body, mind, and spirit.
- Identify the elements of a healthy diet and describe their role in nutrition.
- Compare and contrast the various types of diets.
- Examine the types of nutraceuticals and explain their role in a healthy diet.
- Explain the impact of modern nutritional issues such as toxins, irradiation, genetically engineered organisms, and food allergies on health.
- Examine conscious eating and explain the relationship between spirituality and nutrition.
- Explain the role of herbs and herbalism in nutrition and health.
- Identify basic types of exercise.
- Describe the physiological effects of movement and exercise.
- Describe the psychological effects of movement and exercise.
- Explain the philosophical basis and benefits of yoga.
- Explain the philosophical basis and benefits of T'ai Chi ch'uan and Qigong.
- Identify the important steps to initiating a safe and effective fitness program.