COH401 Health Promotion Concepts
Course DescriptionDesigned for entry-level professionals, covers the evolving profession of health promotion. Principles and practice of health promotion included. Essential core knowledge and skills considered. Health promotionandapos;s link to other health and human service endeavors reviewed. Challenges to health promotion included.
- Analyze health promotionandapos;s role within the ecology of public health.
- Describe the evolution of health promotion from health education, including the origins and contemporary status.
- Describe contributions of behavior to major causes of morbidity and mortality.
- Assess the contributions of the built and natural environment to behaviors affecting health.
- Explain the relationships among policies, behaviors, and environments with health outcomes.
- Illustrate broad influence of the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion on health promotion domestically and internationally.
- Assess the contribution of health promotion to the mission of public, non-profit, and private agencies.
- Evaluate potential and actual contributions health promotion makes to public health.