COH318 Drug Use and Abuse
Social, psychological, behavioral and physiological impacts of psychoactive drug use and abuse explored. Impacts of specific drugs on health status examined. Educational programs, public policy and treatment of addiction considered.
- Develop an analytical framework for examining drug use issues.
- Differentiate psychoactive drugs according to their classifications and properties.
- Distinguish the behavioral and physiological effects of classifications of psychoactive drugs.
- Compare the historic use and regulation of psychoactive drugs to contemporary drug use issues.
- Distinguish among addiction,substance use disorders, substance use and co-dependence.
- Distinguish addiction treatment options.
- Evaluate community-level interventions to prevent drug use, abuse and addiction.
- Examine their own relationship with psychoactive drugs throughout their lifespan