The online reading certificate program (Added Authorization) authorizes the holder to assess student reading and provide reading instruction in response to those assessments. Reading certificate holders are also authorized to develop, implement, and adapt the reading content curriculum and assist classroom teachers in these areas. Holders of the certificate may perform the above services at one or more school sites at the grade levels authorized by their prerequisite teaching credential.
Requirements for the Certificate
- Hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university where an overall grade point average of 2.5 or better was achieved, or where a grade point average of 2.75 or higher was achieved in the last 90-quarter units.
- Possess a valid California teaching credential and two years full-time teaching experience.
- Meet with Admission Advisor to enroll in the Reading Certificate (Added Authorization) program.
- Meet with Credential Program Specialist within 30 days of enrollment to obtain reading certification application procedures. This packet provides detail on the additional requirements for the certificate listed below.
- No coursework is accepted from another university for this program and no substitutions are allowed.
- Candidates must maintain a 3.0 GPA. “D” and “F” grades are not accepted. Candidates are also required to upload assignments in the Reading Specialization electronic Presentation Portfolio in e-College.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Examine the theories and research related to effective reading and language arts instruction.
- Analyze current research on elements of an effective culture of literacy at the classroom, school, district, and community levels.
- Analyze current, confirmed, reliable and replicable quantitative and qualitative research pertaining to language and literacy instruction.
- Design appropriate assessment, instruction, and differentiation in the field.
- Evaluate the culture of literacy at a classroom, grade or school level, and identify how it supports or impedes students’ literacy development.
- ARL 645 Dev. Fluency in Reading
- ARL 646 Comprehension Strategies
- ARL 647A Lang Arts Assess and Instruc I
- ARL 647B Fld St: Lag Art Assess & In II
- Provide verification of three years successful, full-time teaching experience in any grade or subject, preschool through adults. A letter or other appropriate documentation by the candidate’s employer may provide verification. Acceptable experience does NOT include student teaching, internship teaching, or teaching while holding an emergency permit. This experience may also be gained outside of California.
- Provide a copy of a teaching credential valid for a minimum of 12 months and have a non-delinquent student account balance.
- For each course, provide verification e-forms signed off by each course instructor.
- After successful completion of the required coursework and a completed credential packet, the regional reading certificate coordinator will review the packet for final approval. Once approval is obtained, please see your Credential Advisor to apply to the CTC for the certificate. A valid credit card for the online application fee is required.