The Master of Arts in Performance Psychology program focuses upon the intersection of performance psychology techniques, counseling, peak performance, and sport science. The coursework covers theory, research, and applied techniques across the fields of business, exercise physiology, the fine arts, military and combat psychology, and sport psychology. Coursework contributes to students academic requirements for certification by the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP), which is the premier sport, exercise and health psychology organization in North America offering sport psychology certification to its members.
By participating in practical and tailored hands-on learning experiences, graduates are able to apply their knowledge to settings including university and professional athletes, fine arts performance settings, corporate settings, children in school and community sports organizations, coaching, and teaching.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the means by which psychological factors influence performance.
- Analyze empirical and theoretical research related to the major.
- Apply theoretically sound performance enhancement assessments and techniques with individual performers and teams representing various competitive arenas.
- Integrate theoretical perspectives from counseling and sport psychology and related fields into performance settings.
- Apply counseling skills to working relationships with clients and athletes.
- Apply ethical principles in a professional and culturally appropriate manner.
To receive a Master of Arts in Performance Psychology degree, students must complete at least 63 quarter units. A total of 13.5 quarter units of graduate credit may be granted for equivalent graduate work completed at another institution, as it applies to this degree and provided the units were not used in earning another advanced degree. Students should refer to the section on graduate admission procedures for specific information on admission and evaluation.
- PSY 602 Sport/Performance Psychology
- HUB 601A Organizational Behavior
- HUB 641 Stages of Adult Development
- PSY 603 Performance Psy Alt Population
- PSY 614 Counseling in Performance Psy
- PSY 613 Performance Consulting Skills
- HUB 650 Behavioral Research
- HUB 642 Theories of Behavior Change
- PSY 604 Performance Psy Corporate Pops
- PSY 607 Ethics in Performance Psy
- PSY 606 Motor Behavior
- PSY 609 Psychopathology
- PSY 639 Consulting Practice Dev.
- PSY 615 Fieldwork