Our environments not only express who we are but also impact how we feel. They support our body, mind, and spirit. This course examines the definition, history of, and barriers to creating healing environments, describes elements of healing environments, discusses philosophies of healing spaces, natural elements utilized to create them, explores elements of healing relationships, and the importance of education and knowledge.
- Define a healing environment.
- Describe the historical evolution of healing environments.
- List barriers to the creation of healing environment.
- Analyze the impact of color, light, air quality, and temperature on healing environments.
- Describe the impact of odor, noise, furnishings, and buildings on healing environments.
- Analyze the impact of wayfinding on healing environments.
- Describe the philosophies that support healing environments.
- Examine the importance of natural elements used in creating healing environments.
- Examine the role of healing gardens and the elements that make them therapeutic.
- Explain the aspects of a healing, ‘right’ relationship and its impact on those in it.
- Discuss the concept of the caregiver burnout and the importance of touch in supporting a healing relationship.
- Describe the importance of education and knowledge in a healing environment and aspects of an effective education program for clients.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services