Examination of an integrative approach to stress, types of stressors, physiology of stress, stress and disease and theoretical models of disease. Stress emotions of anger and fear, journaling, expressive art therapy, humor therapy will be explored. Discussion of diaphragmatic breathing, meditation, hatha yoga, imagery, visualization and music therapy. Massage therapy, Tai Chi, and progressive muscular relation will be explored.
- Examine the nature of stress as an integrative approach to balance the mind, body, and spirit.
- Describe the physiology of stress and the three physiological systems.
- Analyze the association between stress and disease.
- Examine the stress emotions of anger and fear.
- Describe the benefits of journal writing and expressive art therapy as a tool for managing stress.
- Differentiate the types of humor therapy and the physiological benefits of humor and laughter.
- Discuss diaphragmatic breathing, types of meditation, and the effects of meditation on the mind and body.
- Explore the physiological and psychological benefits of hatha yoga.
- Compare and contrast imagery and visualization.
- Examine music therapy as a systematic approach to address the physical, emotional, mental, cognitive, and social needs of individuals.
- Compare and contrast the physiological and psychological benefits of massage and Tai Chi.
- Examine the physiological benefits of progressive muscular relaxation.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services