Exploration of emotional well being and mental health issues including stress, anxiety, depression, grief, self-abuse/ suicide, eating disorders, anger and oppositional defiance disorders. Resiliency, health choices, and lifestyle factors effecting overall health and well-being along with identification, intervention,and referral strategies will be examined.
- Identify the risk factors for emotional disturbance, mental illness, and self abuse/suicide.
- Compare and contrast positive youth development, asset development, and resiliency as factors in mental health.
- Identify the causes of and the physical, mental, emotional and social effects of stress
- Describe the effects of anger, anxiety, grief, and depression on health and well-being.
- Describe the key components of healthy relationships and role of social support and health.
- Identify school, community, public health and internet resources and social supports that can be used in promoting mental and emotional health
- Identify strategies to assist individuals in making positive mental and emotional health choices.
- Discuss intervention and referral strategies for working with students at risk of or suffering from mental illness
Specific Course Expectations:
Compete readings and discuss concepts and application.
Analyze professional, community and internet resources that could be used for mental and emotional health promotion and health education.
Recommended: Prior completion of
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services