*Please Note: To avoid interruptions to program progress and/or financial aid arrangements, students need to satisfy/pass the Basic Skills Requirement (e.g., CBEST) and Subject Matter Competency Requirement (e.g., CSET) PRIOR to starting the single credential area method courses.
For additional information on credential requirements, please see the Sanford College of Education’s Credential Information section of the catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Knowledgeably discuss major writers, works, movements, and periods of the British and American literary traditions.
- Evaluate the relationship of marginalized or oppositional voices to the evolution of literary traditions and histories.
- Analyze literary works within their historical and cultural contexts.
- Analyze works of literature in the context of the conventions and histories of their genres.
- Analyze the use and effects of literary and rhetorical features of literary texts.
- Identify major critical approaches to the interpretation of literature.
- Compose sophisticated written works of literary analysis, incorporating appropriate close reading, research, and writing skills.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.