Prepare for entry into California’s teaching profession as a mathematics teacher with the Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics with a focus on Inspired Teaching and Learning and a Preliminary Single Subject Credential. The program provides a rigorous preparation of candidates for a career as a teacher of mathematics at the middle and secondary school levels. The program stresses foundation in mathematics and its application. You’ll be dedicated to inspiring all K-12 learners by emphasizing social emotional thriving, meaningful academic achievement, and equitable and inclusive learning communities. The program and courses meet the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) requirements for a Preliminary California Single Subject Teaching Credential in Mathematics.
*Please note: Students need to satisfy/pass the Basic Skills Requirement (e.g., CBEST) and Subject Matter Competency Requirement (e.g., CSET) early (prior to Credential Area Methods coursework) into their programs to avoid interruptions to program progress and/or financial aid arrangements.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Use current technology tools, such as computers, calculators, graphing utilities, video, and interactive programs that are appropriate for the research and study in mathematics.
- Employ algebra and number theory ideas and tools as a base of a fundamental language of mathematics research and communication.
- Model real world problems with a variety of algebraic and transcendental functions.
- Use educational technology to meet the needs of all learners including those with special needs linguistically and culturally diverse students.
- Create a positive learning environment that ensures healthy human growth.
- Design, implement, and evaluate standards-based lesson plans for learning and achievement in content areas.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences