An examination of the nature and role of financial institutions in the economy, topics include money markets and capital markets, the Federal Reserve System and monetary policy, the commercial banking system, thrift institutions, insurance companies, pension funds, investment companies, and other major financial institutions.
- Identify all types of financial institutions in the marketplace.
- Analyze all components of the Federal Reserve System and each of their roles in the banking and monetary policy of this nation.
- Formulate the four various ways the Federal Reserve system can effect the money supply and the consequences of each of the policies, when employed.
- Evaluate the capital markets available in our economy and their effects on industry.
- Compare and contrast all aspects of mortgage lending and its importance in the financial community.
- Compare and contrast the many types of products mixes for banks, thrifts, insurance companies, and investment companies.
- Evaluate the various credit markets and how they provide capital to all segments of the marketplace.
- Compare economic policy and its effects on the business community.
- Evaluate the effects of interest rate changes on each of these industries.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.