Government and Nonprofit Acct
A study of the specialized accounting principles applicable to state and local governments and other non-profit organizations, with an emphasis on fund accounting principles used in the recording of assets, liabilities, equity, revenues and expenditures. Also covers the analysis and interpretation of financial statements of such governmental and nonprofit entities.
- Compare and contrast financial reporting objectives of governmental and other nonprofit organizations in contrast to those of commercial organizations.
- Evaluate the major components of a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) of a state or local government.
- Analyze the theory and purpose of ‘fund accounting’ and apply fund accounting principles to the recording of monetary transactions of state and local governments and other nonprofit organizations.
- Explain and apply the unique modified accrual basis of accounting used by state and local governments and certain types of other nonprofit organizations.
- Apply the budget accounting and financial reporting required of state and local governments.
- Analyze and record, in the appropriate fund, the common monetary transactions of state and local governments in accordance with standards set by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
- Explain and apply the generally accepted accounting principles relating to specialized forms of nonprofit organizations including colleges and universities, hospitals and other nonprofit health and welfare organizations.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.