IHC 600 Intro to Complementary Healing
Lead Faculty: Dr. Patric M. Schiltz
Course DescriptionIntroduction to complementary and healing practices and opportunities to explore these practices. The cultural context of healing traditions and specific practices such as Chinese medicine, energy healing, mind-body healing, healing environments, spirituality and healing, naturopathy, homeopathy, manual therapies, and integrative nutrition will be examined.
- Differentiate between allopathic and complementary and integrative health care.
- Describe the differences between spirituality and religion.
- Explain the role of honesty, gratitude, services, faith, attitudes, attention, and healing spirituality.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements and implications of mind-body modalities, including relaxation, meditation, hypnosis, biofeedback, and imagery.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements and implications of manual therapies, including osteopathic medicine, chiropractic, massage, energy work, therapeutic touch, and other forms of bodywork.
- Discuss the elements of a basic diet and a therapeutic diet.
- Discuss the common themes of herbalism.
- Describe issues related to the use of herbs, antioxidants, and phytonutrients in integrative medicine.
- Describe the elements and implications of energy healing.
- Describe the elements and implications of Chinese medicine, including acupuncture, moxibustion, cupping and Qi cultivation.
- Describe the benefits of humor and ways to cultivate humor.
- Explain the elements and implications of Ayurvedic medicine, including the theoretical foundations, therapeutics, and pharmaceutics.
- Describe the theoretical basis and methodology of homeopathy.
- Describe the theoretical basis and methodology of naturopathy.
- Describe the key elements of healing environments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements and implications of holistic stress management, including health assessment, exercise, stress responses and reduction measure, aromatherapy, and work-life balance.