NSG660 Clinical Decision Support
Lead Faculty: Dr. Mary Kracun
A variety of systems designed to support nursing decision-making are explored. Strengths and limitations of human decision-making strategies and the need for decision support are presented. Topics include data analysis, information retrieval systems, expert systems and artificial intelligence systems. Design of expert systems is described.
- Develop a role as the informatics nurse expert participating in an interdisciplinary team established to construct an expert system for a selected clinical diagnosis problem.
- Articulate several models for decision support and outcomes prediction, and discriminate between models which can be expressed algorithmically and those which cannot.
- Select the best algorithmic model for making decisions about a selected nursing problem and use that model to write the functional specifications for an expert system to support nursing decision-making.
- Collaborate in the development of the data warehouse necessary for the planned expert system.
- Construct a model for the inference engine for the expert clinical diagnosis and treatment system.