NSG302 Professional Nursing Issues
Lead Faculty: Dr. Catherine Chung
Course DescriptionIntroduction to nursing professional issues, including scope and standards of nursing practice, social policy in nursing, ethics, health care regulation and legal issues in professional practice. Students begin study of patient safety and holistic and patient-centered care concepts as they develop a professional identity.
- Utilize a professional, standardized scientific format and current evidence for examining beginning nursing concepts and supporting own position on selected healthcare issues.
- Describe the professional nursing scope of practice as defined by the American Nurses Association and the California Board of Registered Nursing.
- Identify established nursing standards of practice and related legal and ethical issues.
- Explain the impact of nursing history on contemporary practice trends.
- Identify ways which healthcare regulations affect safe, quality nursing professional practice.
- Discuss major factors in development of professional identity and ethical comportment.