NSG215 Gerontological Nursing
Lead Faculty: Dr. Lori Michelangelo
Physiological and psychosocial factors affecting the health of older adults will be emphasized. Health promotion and safe nursing care will be founded on evidence-based practice principles. Role of the professional nurse and interdisciplinary team in managing special healthcare issues of older adults is emphasized.
- Explain normal physiologic and psychosocial factors affecting the health and safety of the older adult.
- Explain the interdisciplinary team collaboration needed to address the complex care needs of older adults.
- Incorporate the clinical significance of age-related changes in communication, risk of disease, emotions and spiritual distress, atypical presentations, and health in the nursing care plan.
- Explain the nurseandamp;#8217;s legal and ethical responsibilities to older adults in the context of their status as a vulnerable population.
- Identify caring, evidence-based collaborative practices to promote and maintain function and comfort in older adults while respecting their personal preferences, values and beliefs.
- Plan for pharmacologic safety for older adults with multiple health problems or multiple drug use to improve the quality of their care