IHM 605 Healing Environments
Lead Faculty: Dr. Patric M. Schiltz
Course DescriptionOur environments not only express who we are but also impact how we feel. They support our body, mind, and spirit. This course examines the definition, history of, and barriers to creating healing environments, describes elements of healing environments, discusses philosophies of healing spaces, natural elements utilized to create them, explores elements of healing relationships, and the importance of education and knowledge.
- Define a healing environment.
- Describe the historical evolution of healing environments.
- List barriers to the creation of healing environment.
- Analyze the impact of color, light, air quality, and temperature on healing environments.
- Describe the impact of odor, noise, furnishings, and buildings on healing environments.
- Analyze the impact of wayfinding on healing environments.
- Describe the philosophies that support healing environments.
- Examine the importance of natural elements used in creating healing environments.
- Examine the role of healing gardens and the elements that make them therapeutic.
- Explain the aspects of a healing, andamp;#8220;rightandamp;#8221; relationship and its impact on those in it.
- Discuss the concept of the caregiver burnout and the importance of touch in supporting a healing relationship.
- Describe the importance of education and knowledge in a healing environment and aspects of an effective education program for clients.