IHC 630 Advanced Health Coaching Semin
Lead Faculty: Dr. Patric M. Schiltz
Opportunity to explore advanced topics in health coaching. Students will demonstrate learning through assignments including: reading of primary texts, virtual discussions and application of learned material via written work. Students will acquire a depth of knowledge and understanding of ways to serve their clients as health coach.
- Evaluate models of wellness coaching.
- Demonstrate an understanding of motivational interviewing and related communication styles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the core skills of motivational interviewing and when to use it, as well as why it is important for health coaching.
- Define 'change talk' and how to use it to help coaching clients get 'unstuck' and move forward.
- Create a Coaching Agreement and Policies and Procedures manual.
- Discuss ambivalence and motivation and how to determine when either or both are occurring in a coaching conversation.
- Recognize how and when to use tools with clients and develop a personal Coaching Toolkit.