CLS301 Clinical Biochemistry
Lead Faculty: Philip Payne
Course DescriptionExplores the physiologic aspect of human metabolism and its role in health and disease. The derivation of energy and nutrients from digestive and absorptive processes, and the synthesis and metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- Describe the digestive and absorptive process by which starches, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids are degraded to simple constituents.
- Outline the process regulating the derivation of energy from digestion and absorption.
- Explain the synthesis,physiology and metabolism of lipids and lipoproteins.
- Outline the process of protein synthesis and catabolism.
- Analyze human case studies,and explain the causative biochemical imbalance and physiological response.