COH499 Public Health Field Practicum
Practical application of knowledge and skills required for a public health professional in a community agency. Students initiate agreement with an agency according to interests, abilities, and availability of approved internship sites and produce a group or individual written project addressing a significant public health challenge. Three month requirement.
- Apply theoretical concepts of public health in a specific practice setting.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge and skills necessary for competent public health practice.
- Competently apply knowledge and skills to a public health program in an organizational environment.
- Apply effective communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain professional relationships with agency staff and the target audiences of the agency
- Apply needs assessment, program planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation skills to public health programs.
- Apply effective communication and advocacy strategies to promote health.
- Assess a given population's health status based on an ecological approach incorporating biological, psychological, social and systems dimensions to address community health problems.
- Apply a variety of health promotion methodologies to address a given health problem in a given population group.