Challenge Exam/Credit by Exam
What is a Credit/Challenge by Exam?
Currently enrolled students can obtain credit for undergraduate courses or a waiver for graduate course requirements through departmental examinations, called Credit/Challenge by Examinations (or CBEs), when their training or work experience seems to provide proficiency in the subject matter of an approved course.
How Many CBEs Can I Take?
All CBEs must support the objectives of the student’s degree program and cannot exceed 13.5 quarter units.
What Is the Cost of a CBE test?
- Credit by Exams cost $100.
- Challenge by Exams cost $50.
What Is the Difference between Credit and Challenge by Exam
- Credit by Exam is allowed only for undergraduate students and offers credit units upon passing.
- Challenge by Exam is allowed only for graduate students and DOES NOT offer credit units. Instead, the tests offer a waiver of a course requirement for a specific degree program.
What About My GPA, and Are Retakes Allowed?
Your GPA will not be affected since CBEs are graded on a pass/fail basis. No CBE retakes are allowed.
What are the First Steps?
Students must be approved by the Registrar prior to scheduling a CBE. If you think you are eligible for a CBE, please:
- Log into your Student Portal.
- Click on Student eForms, Student Records (Credit/Challenge by Exams).
- Read and click the acknowledgment and continue to e-Form.
- Select your desired exam, save, and submit.
- You will receive your approval/denial via email along with instructions to schedule your exam (if eligible).