State Authorization of Distance Education

States have varying rules, requirements and regulations that govern online (distance) education offered by out-of-state postsecondary institutions. These rules require higher education institutions that offer distance education to state residents to obtain exemption, approval, authorization or other certification from the relevant state agencies. Many of these regulations also apply to field experiences (e.g., internships, practicums, clinicals, etc.) in the state.

National University researches and monitors state authorization requirements in each state and continues to make good faith efforts to secure the appropriate authorization and/or licensure to offer online programs in each state in which it enrolls students. Prospective and current students should check this website for continual updates on National University’s state authorization statuses. For states with an approved status, please be aware that individual programs may not be approved or may be pending approval by a state authority and cannot be offered to students residing in that state.


Students who relocate while enrolled may be unable to complete their studies if they are moving to a country or state where the University is not currently authorized to offer that particular program. Prospective students should contact their Admissions Advisor to discuss how relocation could alter their eligibility, while current students should contact their Academic Advisor if they are considering relocating during their course of study.

Since the University must be authorized/approved to offer programs in each state, there may be consequences for applicants and students who relocate to a state or country where the institution does not meet state requirements or has yet to be approved. There are also program limitations even in states where the university is authorized/approved; for states with an authorized/approved status, applicants/students may not be able to apply, continue, or change to a particular program, as not all programs may be approved by a state licensing authority. In these cases, these programs cannot be offered to students residing in that state.

Professional Licensure/Certification

Some programs offered at National University may not provide all the educational requirements necessary for professional licensure or certification in a student’s state or country. Prospective and current students should review the University’s Licensure Disclosures for more information related to these programs. Individuals considering an online program that leads to a professional license/certification should be aware that requirements for professional licensure can vary drastically by state, and these requirements can change frequently and often without notice. While a program may originally meet the educational requirements for licensure, changes in requirements could impact the program’s ability to meet any new educational requirements.

Students considering an online program that leads to a professional license in a state are highly encouraged to contact the appropriate licensing agency and organization(s) in that state to seek information and additional guidance before beginning the program; and students should also continually monitor changes throughout the program as licensure requirements may change over time. Many licensure boards require more than successful degree completion to obtain a license, such as completion of an examination(s), test(s), background check(s), internship/practicum hours, and other requirements determined by the respective state board. It is the responsibility of the student completing the licensure program to check with the respective state licensing board(s) for the most recent information, rules and requirements. National University is not responsible and cannot be held liable if the student is unable to qualify for licensure or certification in any jurisdiction or cannot obtain a practicum/internship location.

Update Status Current as of November 6, 2020

Alabama Commission on Higher Education (Approved)

100 North Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
(334) 242-1998

Alabama Community College System (ACCS) (Approved)

P.O. Box 302130
Montgomery, AL 36130
(334) 293-4500

Street Address:
135 South Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36104-4340

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (Exempt)

PO Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505
(800) 441-2962

Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education (In-Progress)

1740 W. Adams Street, Suite 3008
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 542-5709

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board (Approved)

423 Main Street, Suite 400
Little Rock, Arkansas 72201
(501) 371-2000

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution or degree program. Such certification merely indicates that certain criteria have been met under the rules and regulations of institutional and program certification as defined in Arkansas Coe §6-61-301. The student should be aware that these degree programs may not transfer. The transfer of course/degree credit is determined by the receiving institution.

California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (Exempt)

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 98018
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818
(916) 431-6959 Website:

Physical Address
2535 Capital Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833

Colorado Commission on Higher Education (Exempt)

1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 862-3001

Connecticut Office of Higher Education (Exempt)

450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 510
Hartford, Connecticut 06103-1841
(860) 947-1822

Delaware Department of Education (Exempt)

401 Federal Street, Suite 2
Dover, DE 19901
(302) 735-4000

District of Columbia Higher Education Licensure Commission (HELC) (Approved)

1050 First Street, NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 727-6436

Florida Department of Education (Exempt)

Commission for Independent Education
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399
(850) 245-3212

Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (Approved)

2082 E. Exchange Place, Suite 220
Tucker, GA 30084-4113
(770) 414-3300

Hawaii Postsecondary Education Authorization Program (Exempt)

P.O. Box 541
Honolulu, HI 96809
(808) 586-7327

Idaho State Board of Education (Exempt)

650 W. State Street, 3rd Floor
Boise, ID 83720-0037
(208) 334-2270

Illinois Board of Higher Education (Exempt)

Illinois Board of Higher Education
1 North Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
(217) 782-2551

Indiana Commission on Higher Education (Approved)

101 West Ohio Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-4206
(317) 464-4400

Iowa College Student Aid Commission (Exempt)

475 SW Fifth Street, Suite D
Des Moines, IA 50309
(877) 272-4456 option 4

Kansas Board of Regents (Approved)

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612
(757) 430-4240

Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education (Approved)

1024 Capital Center Drive, Ste. 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 573-1555

Louisiana Board of Regents (Exempt)

1201 N 3rd Street, Suite #6
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
(225) 342-4253

National University is currently licensed by the Board of Regents of the State of Louisiana. Licenses are renewed by the State Board of Regents every two years. Licensed institutions have met minimal operational standards set forth by the state, but licensure does not constitute accreditation, guarantee the transferability of credit, nor signify that programs are certifiable by any professional agency or organization.

Maine Department of Education (Exempt)

23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
(207) 624-6600

Maryland Higher Education Commission (Approved)

6 N. Liberty Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
(410) 767-3301

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education (Exempt)

1 Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 994-6950

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (Approved)

611 W. Ottawa
P.O. Box 30004
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 335-9700

Minnesota Office of Higher Education (Approved)

1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227
(651) 642-0567

National University is registered with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to Minnesota Statutes sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.

Minnesota residents interested in enrolling in the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice program should make note that the state of Minnesota licenses police officers and there are specific educational requirements. In addition, additional training (a skills-based course) is also required before being eligible for licensure as a police officer in the state of Minnesota.

ILR 260 is not recognized as an English or communication class in Minnesota. Minnesota residents must be required to complete other English or communication class to satisfy the Minnesota Degree Standards.


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation (Exempt)

3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
(601) 432-6372

Missouri Department of Higher Education (Exempt)

205 Jefferson Street
Jefferson City, MO 65201
(573) 751-3940

Montana Board of Regents (Exempt)

2500 Broadway Street
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
(406) 444-6570

Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education (Exempt)

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
(402) 471-2847

Physical Address
140 N. 8th Street, Suite 300
Lincoln, NE 68508

Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education (Approved)

8778 S. Maryland Pkwy, Ste 115
Las Vegas, NV 89123
(702) 486-7330

New Hampshire Department of Education (Exempt)

101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-0257

New Jersey Commission on Higher Education (Exempt)

20 West State Street
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625
(609) 292-7225

New Mexico Higher Education Department (Approved)

2044 Galisteo Street, #4
Santa Fe, NM 87505

New York Office of College and University Evaluation (Approved)

89 Washing Avenue, Room 960
Education Building Annex
Albany, New York 12234
(518) 474-1551

Board of Governors for the University of North Carolina (In Progress)

910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
(919) 962-4558

North Dakota University System (Exempt)

2000 44th Street, SW, Suite 301
Fargo, ND 58103

Ohio Board of Regents (Approved)

25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 466-6000

Oklahoma Regents of Higher Education (Exempt)

655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
(405) 225-9100

Oregon Office of Degree Authorization (Approved)

1500 Valley River Drive, Suite 100
Eugene, OR 97401
(503) 373-0003

Pennsylvania Department of Education (Approved)

333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126
(717) 783-6788

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education (Approved)

560 Jefferson Boulevard, Suite 100
Warwick, RI 02886
(401) 736-1100

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education (Exempt)

1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 737-3476

South Dakota Secretary of State (Exempt)

500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
(605) 773-3537

Tennessee Higher Education Commission (Exempt)

404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 741-5293

Any authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety, and fiscal responsibility.

Tennessee Residents: Any grievances not resolved on the institutional level may be forwarded to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Nashville, TN 37243-0830, (615) 741-5293.

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (Exempt)

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711
(512) 427-6223

Delivery Address:
1200 East Anderson Lane
Austin, TX 78752

National University has permission to operate in the state of Texas and has been regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission since 1977. The Texas State Board of Accountancy’s new regulations preclude National University graduates from being qualified applicants for the CPA exam in Texas.

Texas Workforce Commission Career Schools and Colleges (Exempt)

101 E. 15th Street
Austin, TX 78778-0001
(512) 463-2222

Exemption status means National university is not approved or regulated by the Texas Workforce Commission. This means Texas Workforce Commission have not approved the curriculum, classrooms, teachers or any other matters related to National University. On-site visits will not be conducted at National University. Furthermore, the exemption status does not constitute approval, accreditation or licensure of any courses under Texas law.

Utah Division of Consumer Protection (Exempt)

160 East 300 South, Second Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
(801) 530-6601

Vermont Agency of Education (Exempt)

219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 479-1030

Virginia State Council of Higher Education (Exempt)

James Moore Building
101 N 14th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 225-2600

Washington Student Achievement Council (Approved)

917 Lakeridge Way, SW
Olympia, WA 98504-3430
(306) 753-7800

Any authorization is subject to periodic review and the Council may be contacted for a list of currently authorized programs. Authorization by the Council does not carry with it an endorsement by the Council of the institution or its programs. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the act or the applicability of those requirements to the institution may contact the Council at P.O. Box 43430, Olympia, WA 98504-3430.

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission (Exempt)

1018 Kanawha Blvd E., Ste 700
Charleston, WV 25301-2800
(304) 558-2101

Wisconsin Educational Approval Board (Approved)

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 8366
Madison, WI 53708-8366
(608) 266-1996

Delivery Address:
431 Charmany Dr, #102
Madison, WI 53719

Wyoming Department of Education (Exempt)

2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050
(307) 777-7690

Status Key

Approved The University has secured authorization to offer online programs.
Exempt The University is exempt from securing authorization to offer online programs
Not Initiated The University has not yet initiated an application for authorization or exemption.
Pending Approval The state agency is in the process of reviewing authorization or exemption.
In Progress The University is completing the application for state agency review and approval.


Each institution of higher education is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information for the state agency, or agencies, that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering online (distance) learning within that state.

If a prospective or current student has a complaint, we encourage you to resolve them informally or formally through Student Services before submitting a complaint to an external entity. Please contact our Student Concierge Services at 1-866-NU-ACCESS (1-866-682-2237) or email with any concerns or questions.

Should a student wish to file a complaint in their home state, please select the state contact on the State Complaint webpage.