Single Sign-On FAQ
National University offers Single Sign-On (SSO), a solution that allows access to the most frequently used student, faculty, and staff software applications using one SSO username and password. The University will continue to add to groups throughout this year and beyond.
If you are having issues that cannot be resolved by the questions and answers below, please contact the Faculty and Staff Help Desk or Student Concierge Services.
Faculty and Staff IT Help Desk: (858) 309-3580 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Concierge Services: (866) 628-8988 or SCS@nu.edu
SSO Enabled Applications: SOAR, Blackboard Learn, Office 365
*** NOTE ***
A NUMBER OF FACULTY AND STUDENTS HAVE REPORTED THAT PASSWORD RESET EMAILS FROM email@example.com ARE GOING TO THEIR SPAM FOLDERS. PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDERS FOR EMAILS BEFORE CONTACTING THE IT HELP DESK OR STUDENT CONCIERGE SERVICES.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is Single Sign-On?
- I do not see an application I use on the SSO dashboard. Can it be added to the plan?
- How do I change my password?
- I am a student and I have additional questions.
- Does Single Sign-On make my online identity more or less secure?
- I can’t get into SOAR from my bookmark.
- I received multiple emails from firstname.lastname@example.org or was otherwise notified of multiple single sign-on usernames. Why do I have multiple accounts?
- I’m stuck and I don’t know what to do.
1. What is Single Sign-On?
Single Sign-On allows users to access many software applications and programs using just one SSO username and password. It also offers users the ability to change their passwords and resolve forgotten passwords without having to call the IT Help Desk or Student Concierge Services.
2. I do not see an application I use on the SSO dashboard. Can it be added to the plan?
Please contact us at email@example.com with any application wish list information and we will investigate how it can be added to the Single Sign-On.
3. How do I change my password?
For Faculty and Staff, your SSO username and password will initially be the same as your National University computer and email username and password. You can change your SSO password from within the Settings section in Single Sign-On, or through your network computer.
4. I am a student and I have additional questions.
The National University Knowledge Base (http://kb.nu.edu) has been set up to answer many student questions. If you have additional questions, please contact Student Concierge Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Does Single Sign-On make my online identity more or less secure?
Single Sign-On increases your online security. Users often choose similar or identical passwords for different systems, compromising each of those accounts if one of them is subject to a security breach. In a Single Sign-On environment, users feel more comfortable picking a more secure password that is harder to remember because there’s only one to remember!
6. I can’t get into SOAR from my bookmark.
Because SOAR has been rolled into our Single Sign-On solution, you will need to access it from https://login.nu.edu.
7. I received multiple emails from email@example.com or was otherwise notified of multiple single sign-on usernames. Why do I have multiple accounts?
If you have multiple functions at the university (e.g., staff and student or staff and adjunct), then you will have multiple logins to manage accounts related to each role. For example, if you are a National University employee taking courses, you will only be able to access your Blackboard Learn and Student Portal accounts via your student Single Sign-On login. However, you will not be able to access your University email account through your student Single Sign-On login, only through your employee Single Sign-On login.