Prepare for a career as a teacher of social studies and history in middle or high school with the Bachelor of Arts in Social Science with an Inspired Teaching and Learning Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential. It combines rigorous coursework in history and social sciences with a concentration on world, U.S., and California history.
In the BA Social Science program, you’ll explore the demographic, economic, and political impacts to the history of California from the time of the Spaniards to the present. You’ll learn to look at familiar places and cultures from an entirely new perspective and while doing so, develop your skills in critical thinking, reading, writing, and researching. As the specialized courses are combined with sound educational methodology and student teacher training, you’ll leave prepared to enter the education field as a respected teacher of social studies or history.
*Please note: Students need to satisfy/pass the Basic Skills Requirement (e.g., CBEST) and Subject Matter Competency Requirement (e.g., CSET) early (prior to Credential Area Methods coursework) into their programs to avoid interruptions to program progress and/or financial aid arrangements.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Assess the significance of major trends in U.S. and world history.
- Discuss current concerns, new theories, new evidence, and issues that shape interpretation in history and the social sciences.
- Conduct research in history and the social sciences supported by appropriate primary and secondary source materials.
- Delineate the central demographic, economic, and political developments in the history of California from the eve of Spanish settlement to the present.
- Utilize systematic observations, documentation, and other effective assessment strategies in a responsible manner to facilitate and account for learning and to support positive growth.
- Design, implement, and evaluate standards-based lesson plans for learning and achievement in content areas.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education