The Master of Science in Special Education with a Preliminary Ed Specialist Credential: Moderate/Severe with Internship Option program at National University will prepare you to successfully teach and impact the lives of students who have moderate to extensive learning support needs. The program focuses on practical experience, and provides educational practices and strategies that can be immediately implemented in the classroom. If you’re looking to advance into a leadership position or enhance instructional strategies, this program is for you.
You will gain the critical skills needed to create an inclusive classroom environment within the framework of UDL and MTSS. Each course is designed to be take in sequence. The internship is an alternative credential path, meaning you can continue working while completing the credential program.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Create and sustain learning environments that support inclusive practices under the Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework.
- Provide individualized support for all TK-12 learners from diverse backgrounds with a wide spectrum of physical, sensory developmental, academic, behavioral, social-emotional, verbal, and non-verbal communication needs.
- Use a strength-based continuous improvement and evidence-based framework to design and plan inclusive learning activities.
- Administer and analyze formal and informal assessments to determine eligibility, inform instruction, and identify research-based interventions.
- Meet legal, ethical, and professional obligations as an educational specialist and advocate for TK-12 learners with M/S.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.