The Bachelor of Arts in English provides a strong background in the study of English. The program stresses literary analysis, diversity, critical thinking, and written and oral communication skills through a rigorous curriculum of literature, composition, language and linguistics, and communication studies. It is an excellent preparation for careers in teaching, media, advertising, writing, and publishing; for graduate or professional studies in English, communications, or law; and for advancement in any field in which communication skills are important.
Note: Students interested in teaching English or Language Arts in middle or secondary schools should consider enrolling in the Bachelor of Arts in English with Single Subject Matter Preparation and Inspired Teaching and Learning Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential (CALIFORNIA).
Program Learning Outcomes
- Knowledgeably discuss the major writers, works, movements, and periods of the British and American literary traditions.
- Apply close reading skills to analyze literary and other texts.
- Critically examine the relevance of variables of human diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender, class, and sexuality to the understanding and cultural significance of literature.
- Apply relevant cultural and historical information in the analysis of literary texts.
- Critically evaluate the assumptions and implications of major critical approaches to literature.
- Analyze the significance of genre conventions to the meanings and effects of literary works.
- Explain and defend their own criteria for evaluating works of literature.
- Collaborate with others to develop more complicated interpretations or arguments.
- Compose sophisticated written arguments about works of literature, incorporating appropriate close reading, research, and writing skills.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences