Orientation, Pre-Arrival, Housing and Student Life
Pre-Arrival and Orientation
As you prepare for your journey to the USA and National University, we would like to take this opportunity to provide you with helpful information on what to expect, what to bring with you, and transportation in the area. We hope you will find your stay in the United States enjoyable and exciting.
National University’s orientation for International Students is a mandatory two-day* event designed to assist you with your successful transition to living and studying in the U.S. If you fail to attend orientation your student visa will be jeopardized and you will experience a delay in receiving your class schedule.
*Orientation may be 1, 2, or 3 days depending on your orientation date
What to expect during Orientation:
- Meet with staff and faculty
- Campus tour
- Issuance of your student ID card
- Open a bank account
- Immigration registration
- Informational & academic success sessions
- Course registration*
- Purchase health insurance
*Your program schedule may include courses in the evenings (5:30 pm – 10:00 pm).
Pre-Arrival Tips & Checklist:
- Reserve housing (homestay or hotel) for the day of your arrival at a minimum.
- Please reference our housing guide for further details and options.
- Reserve transportation from the airport to your designated housing the day of your arrival.
- Rides on Time: Pick up at San Diego or LAX airports. Reserve online at www.ridesontime.com
- Bring contact information of your housing reservation for the day of your arrival.
- Phone number and address of your host family, friend or hotel where you will be staying.
- You want to make sure you are able to get to where you need to be.
- International payments to National University may be made ahead of time from your home country by using our international payment portal, powered by Flywire. Learn more
- Bring enough money to pay for your housing fees, health insurance, books, and personal expenses.
Required documents and fees due on the first day of orientation
- SEVIS I-20, I-94 card
- Original academic certificates, diplomas, transcripts, marksheets
- Original English proficiency scores: DAAD, TOEFL or IELTS (if applicable)
- Financial support letters
- Proof of health insurance (must meet minimum requirements)
- Document in English (on insurance company letterhead) to include the student’s name, and details of what the insurance plan covers, including effective and expiration dates.
- Minimum Requirement: $250,000 per illness/injury with a $50 deductible
- If you do not have proof of health insurance on Orientation day you will need to purchase insurance at Orientation
International Student Housing
National University has several off-campus housing options for our international students. The majority of our international students live with a host family in homestay, however we can also assist with information regarding other off-campus options as well. To secure your housing accommodations contact an International Student Services representative at least one month prior to your arrival.
National University truly cares about the campus life of our international students. We offer monthly events, student development workshops, and other peer networking opportunities.
Please contact the International Student Services department on your campus for further details.