Administrative Services Credential Programs
The Administrative Services Credential authorizes the following services in grades PreK-12 and in classes organized primarily for adults; develop, coordinate, and assess instructional programs; evaluate certificated and classified personnel; provide candidates’ discipline, including but not limited to, suspension and expulsion; provide certificated and classified employees discipline, including but not limited to, suspension, dismissal, and reinstatement; supervise certificated and classified personnel; manage school site, district, or county level fiscal services; recruit, employ, and assign certificated and classified personnel; develop, coordinate, and supervise candidate support services, including but not limited to extracurricular activities, pupil personnel services, health services, library services, and technology support services.
To be fully admitted into the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Program, each candidate must view the recorded credential orientation sent to his/her SOAR Student Message Center and return a completed credential packet to the Credentials Department within 30 days of enrollment.
A Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Packet is complete when the candidate has filled out and returned the following:
- The Acknowledgement of Terms and Agreements
- Request for Field Experience Placement
- Proof of attempt or passage of Basic Skills Assessment is required for admittance to the program (Proof of passage is mandatory prior to clinical practice)
- Negative TB test results (valid within the last four years)
- Possess a Teaching or Services Credential (may be preliminary for admittance, but must be clear for recommendation)
Field Experience Requirements
In addition to meeting the admissions requirements, to be cleared to begin field experience candidates must also complete and return the following:
- Proof of passage of a Basic Skills Assessment
- Possess a current account balance
In addition to meeting the admissions and field experience requirements, candidates must also complete and return the following prior to credential recommendation:
- Possess a Valid CA Clear Teaching or Services Credential (with at least one year remaining on document)
- Five years of experience (must be in the area of the credential held)
- All credential program coursework (3.0 GPA Grades of “D”, “F” and “U” are not accepted)
- Possess a zero account balance
All test results must remain valid in order to apply for credential, except for negative TB test results.
Candidates are issued a Certificate of Eligibility upon completion of the program. Unless candidate provides a completed “Verification of Employment as an Administrator” (CL-777) form with the credential application, in which case the candidate will be recommended for the credential.
Preliminary Administrative Services University Internship Program
The University internship route provides an opportunity for candidates who have been offered employment to complete his or her field experience, while employed in an appropriate position as a school administrator. This experience is a partnership between the candidate, National University, and the employer meant to support the candidate in an environment similar to that authorized by the preliminary credential obtained at the end of the program.
Candidates on probation or permanent academic probation are not eligible for a National University internship program. Once intern eligible, candidates must apply for an Internship Credential which is valid for two years. All candidates participating in the Administrative Services University Internship program must serve a minimum of one full year in the internship position to be recommended for the Preliminary credential.
Candidates who are interested in becoming a university intern must complete and show verification of all prerequisite requirements and go through the internship eligibility process to determine suitability for the internship program (see below).
- Possession of a valid Clear, Life, General, or Services credential. A day to day or short term teaching permit does not qualify as an accepted credential for admission.
- Passage of a Basic Skills Assessment.
- Five years of experience while in the possession of a valid California emergency permit and/or teaching credential issued under the laws, rules, and regulations in effect on or before December 31, 1971, requiring the possession of a baccalaureate degree. Two of the five years’ experience may be accepted with an emergency permit.
- A letter of application stating the candidate’s qualifications for admission to the internship program, plus three letters of recommendation, one of the three must be from superintendent or district representative*
- Agreement on file between the employing District, School or Agency and National University
- Negative TB test (valid within the last four years)
- 3.0 GPA (grades of “D” and “F” are not accepted)
- Maintain zero account balance
*All candidates must furnish three letters of recommendation from the district discussing his/her prospects for success in the program. One of the letters must be from the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee pledging district support of the candidate.
In addition to completion of all internship prerequisites, candidates are required to verify completion of the following Intern Eligibility:
- Verification of internship program prerequisites
- District or agency offer of employment for the intern as a full time administrator in a setting appropriate for the credential being sought
- Verification of intern eligibility determined in an interview by lead internship faculty
CLEAR ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES INDUCTION PROGRAM
The Clear Administrative Services Credential authorizes the holder to provide the following school services in grades K-12, preschool, and classes organized primarily for adults: develop, coordinate, and assess instructional programs; evaluate certificated and classified personnel; provide student discipline; provide certificated and classified employees discipline, supervise certificated and classified personnel; manage school site, district, or county level fiscal services; recruit, employ, and assign certificated and classified personnel; and develop, coordinate, and supervise student support services.
The Clear Administrative Services Credential Induction Program is a two-year program focusing on professional development (PD) for Candidates’ leadership performance. The job-embedded PD replaces a more traditional approach where learning is more theoretical and occurs in the classroom and is a response to new research-based practices and evolving expectations of schools to prepare students for success beyond grade school. The core of the Induction Program is the coaching experience – a highly qualified, trained Coach is assigned to the Candidate and works collaboratively with them to develop the Candidate’s skills and knowledge while evaluating their attainment of goals and demonstration of leadership.
Click to access svc-admin-handbook.pdf
In order to be admitted into the Program, Candidates must complete a Credential Packet that includes or provides evidence/proof of the following:
- Signed Acknowledgement of Terms and Agreements
- Preliminary Administrative Services Credential
- Current employment in an appropriate administrative services position
In order to be recommended for a Credential, Candidates must:
- Complete all program coursework with minimum satisfactory grades (U grades are not accepted)
- Provide proof two years of experience as an Administrator
- Zero account balance