Student Accessibility Services (SAS) offers programs and consultations to empower students with disabilities to reach their full potential. The registration process is interactive and specific to each student. If you are a student with a disability yet are unsure of whether or not you will qualify for accommodations, understand the process of registration is flexible. The best way to get started is by filling out an online application below.
Applicants interested in services and accommodations should complete the registration process:
- Complete online application for services
- Submit the required documentation
- Make an appointment with Student Accessibility Services
- Receive accommodation letter
Please allow 48 business hours for response.
Step One: Complete and Submit Application
The application allows you to provide information about yourself, including the type of accommodations and services you are requesting.
Step Two: Complete and Submit Verification
Submit documentation of your disability from a licensed professional that includes:
- Functional limitations
- Possible side effects from medicine
- Accommodations requested and rationale
- Contact information of the licensed professional
Documentation can be uploaded as part of your online application or sent directly to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name and student ID when submitting documentation via email.
Disability Documentation Guidelines
- Learning Disabilities: A psycho-educational assessment using accepted testing instruments and measures signed by the appropriate licensed professional, such as an educational psychologist or learning disability specialist. The assessment must give specifics of the learning disability, clearly supported by the data in the assessment.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Testing assessment using accepted testing instruments and measures and signed by the appropriate licensed professional, such as a psychologist or medical doctor. Provide specifics of how learning and academic activities are impaired in an academic setting, supported by the data in the testing assessment.
- Psychological Disorder: Testing evaluation using accepted testing instruments conducted and signed by the appropriate licensed professional, such as a psychologist or medical doctor. Provide specifics of how learning and academic activities are impaired in an academic setting, supported by the data in the evaluation.
Application and disability documentation can also be submitted in hard copy:
Fax: (858) 521-3996
Mail: National University
Attn. Student Accessibility Services
3570 Aero Court, Room D-204
San Diego, CA 92123-1711
Step Three: Schedule an Interactive Appointment
Your application for services and disability documentation must be received by the SAS team prior to scheduling the appointment. Please provide your full availability to email@example.com to request to meet with a counselor between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. PST. Interactive appointments are completed by appointment only (no walk-ins). During the appointment you and the SAS team member will review and discuss:
- Disability documentation
- Accommodation requests
- Any challenges related to the disability
If you are asked to meet in person, Student Accessibility Services is located at:
Step Four: Eligibility Determination for Services
If you are deemed eligible and approved for accommodations and services, you will be provided with an accommodation letter outlining specific accommodations along with educational resources. The letter will be sent electronically to your NU Student email with hard copies upon request.
Once you receive the official accommodation letter outlining approved curriculum accommodations, it is your responsibility to:
- Present (in person or via email) the letter to your professors
- Discuss the letter with the professor
If you wish to discuss ways to communicate approved accommodations with your professor, please contact a SAS team member at firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 521-3967.
Requesting Additional or Revised Accommodations
If at any time you wish to request additional or revised accommodations, then please submit your request in writing by completing a new application for services (above) or emailing your request directly to email@example.com.