Who are we?
National University (NU) was established in 2001 to meet the emerging demands and challenges for education in the 21st century. The nonprofit system is comprised of university and education-related affiliates that, together, endeavor to provide an exceptional student experience to lifelong learners. National University has pioneered new approaches to serving adults and Veterans since its inception in 1971.
With programs available both online and at its many campus locations, NU is a leader in creating innovative solutions to education and meeting the needs of a diverse student population, including adult learners and working professionals.
NU is comprised of:
An accredited private nonprofit university with a unique one-course-per-month format and flexible online and onsite certificate, credential, and degree programs. National University is a private, nonprofit institution of higher education in California. Founded in 1971, National University is headquartered in La Jolla, California, United States.
City University of Seattle:
Founded in 1973, City University of Seattle (CityU) is an accredited, private, nonprofit university providing career-relevant education and industry partnerships to working professionals who want to advance their careers and compete in the global marketplace.
National University owns and operates its website and is strongly committed to protecting the privacy of its user community. This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit National University’s website (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information. Please note that this policy applies only to our Website and not to the websites of other companies or organizations to which we provide links or to any software that may be downloaded from National University website.
Our Postal address and Phone contacts are:
9388 Lightwave Ave.
San Diego, California 92123
Toll Free: (866) 366-8847
Student Concierge Service: (866) 628-8988
Fax: (858) 642-8750
- Through the software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”),
- Through our social media pages and apps located at (collectively, our “Social Media Pages”)
- Through offline activities as detailed in this policy
Collectively, we refer to the Websites, the Apps and our Social Media Pages as the “Services”.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On our Services.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and our Services.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from our Services, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- National University offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party including our affiliates and subsidiaries.
Types of Personal Data Collected and Why
National University collects some anonymous information each time you visit its website, so it can improve the overall quality of your online experience. It collects your IP address, referral data, and browser and platform type. You do not have to register with National University before we can collect this anonymous information.
Our Website does not require you to share information that identifies you personally, such as your name or e-mail address, for you to use the website. Our Website may assign an anonymous ID number to your request(s) and links the following additional data to that number: the date and time you visited the website, your search terms, and the links upon which you choose to click.
Like most standard website servers, we use log files to collect and store this anonymous user information. National University analyzes the information to examine trends, administer the site, track user’s movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
From time-to-time our Website requests information from you that may identify them personally in addition to the anonymous information described above. National University and/or its affiliates collect a variety of personal and sensitive personal information to meet one of its lawful bases, as referenced above. Most often the data is used for admission, registration, delivery of classroom, on-line, and study abroad education, grades, communications, employment, program analysis for improvements, and records retention. If you have specific questions regarding the collection and use of your personal information, please contact the Office of Information Technology Information Security Office at [email protected].
Personal Information typically includes, but is not limited to:
|First name, last name, address, telephone number, email address, profile picture, social media account ID, Nu Keys or other NU-issued system credentials, and any other contact information that can directly or indirectly identify the data subject.||Collected directly from you, the data subject, through application forms, online forms, emails, phone calls, chats, SMS, shared files.|
Sensitive Personal Information typically includes, but is not limited to:
|Social Security Number, Driver’s License, Identity Document Card, Passport Number, Account Log-in, Financial Account Information, Credit Card, Other Credentials, Precise Geolocation, Religious Beliefs, or any other information that you voluntarily provide through your use of the Services, and may include sensitive information, such as health, financial, or racial and ethnic origin.||Collected directly from you, the data subject, through application forms, online forms, emails, phone calls, chats, SMS, shared files.|
Collection of Personal Information
We and our third-party service providers collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services
- We collect Personal Information through the Services, for example, when you sign up for a newsletter, register an account to access the Services, or make a purchase.
- We collect Personal Information from you offline, e.g., when you visit our campus or other facilities, attend one of our seminars, place a request over the phone, or contact NU.
- From Other Sources
- We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, for example:
- publicly available databases
- joint marketing partners or other partners when they share the information with us;
- If you connect your social media account to your Services account, you will share certain Personal Information from your social media account with us, for example, your name, email address, photo, list of social media contacts, and any other information that may be or you make accessible to us when you connect your social media account to your Services account.
- We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, for example:
Use of Personal Information
We and our third-party service providers use Personal Information for legitimate business purposes including:
- Providing the functionality of the Services and fulfilling your requests.
- To provide the Services’ functionality to you, such as arranging access to your registered account, and providing you with related services or communications. If you do not provide the information requested, we may not be able to provide the Services’ functionality.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, when you contact us via one of our online contact forms or otherwise, for example, when you send us questions, suggestions, compliments, or complaints, or when you request other information.
- To complete your transactions and provide you with related services or communications.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our offerings, terms, conditions and policies.
- To allow you to send messages to another person if you choose to do so.
We will engage in these activities to manage our relationship with you and/or to comply with any legal obligation.
- Providing you with our newsletter and/or other promotional materials and facilitating social sharing
- To send you promotional related emails, with information about our services, offerings, new initiatives and other news about our organization.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality that you choose to use.
We will engage in this activity with your consent or where we have a legitimate interest.
- Analysis of Personal Information for business reporting and providing personalized services.
- To analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so we can improve our Services.
- To better understand you, so that we can personalize our interactions with you and provide you with information and/or offers tailored to your interests.
- To better understand your preferences so that we can deliver content via our Services that we believe will be relevant and interesting to you.
We will provide personalized services either with your consent or because we have a legitimate interest.
- Aggregating and/or anonymizing Personal Information.
- We may aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose.
- For our business and operational purposes.
- For data analysis, for example, to improve the efficiency of our Services;
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory, or contractual requirements.
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft.
- For developing new offerings, initiatives, and services.
- For enhancing, improving, or modifying our current offerings, initiatives, and services.
- For identifying usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to users.
- For determining the effectiveness of our promotional and informational campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users; and
- For operating and expanding our business activities, offerings, and services, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to our users so we can focus our energies on meeting our users’ interests.
We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation, and/or because we have a legitimate interest.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose Personal Information:
- To our third-party services providers to facilitate services they provide to us.
- These can include providers of services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, event registration, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other services.
- To third parties to permit them to send you promotional communications, consistent with your choices.
- By using the Services, you may elect to disclose Personal Information
- On message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate, especially when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations.
- This can include laws outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with public and government authorities.
- To respond to a request or to provide information that we, in our sole discretion, believe is important or is necessary to protect our interests. These can include authorities outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with law enforcement.
- For example, when we respond to law enforcement requests and orders or provide information that we, in our sole discretion, believe is important.
- For other legal reasons.
- To enforce any terms and conditions; and
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction.
- We have a legitimate interest in disclosing or transferring your Personal Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual
- Browser and device information
- App usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner such that it no longer reveals your specific identity
If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Policy.
Collection of Other Information
We and our third-party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device:
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Through your use of the App
- When you download and use the App, we and our third-party service providers may track and collect App usage data.
- Using cookies
- Using technology to track use of services and improve the services
- Pixel tags. Pixel Tags (also known as web beacons or clear GIFs) may be used to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- Adobe Flash technology (including Flash Local Shared Objects (“Flash LSOs”)) and other similar technologies. We may use Flash LSOs and other technologies to, among other things, collect and store information about your use of the Services.
- IP Address
- Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications, and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems, and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Physical Location
- We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or Wi-Fi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. We may also share your device’s physical location, with our promotional partners to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you do, we and/or our promotional partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law.
Third Party Services
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Apps or our social media Pages.
Third Party Advertising
We use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Services and other websites or online services.
Jurisdiction and Cross-Border Transfer
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage third party service providers, and by using the Services you understand that your information will be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
For transfers from the European Economic Area to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place safeguards to protect your Personal Information.
Third Party Payment Service
Special Notification with respect to Children’s Privacy
In response to concerns about protecting children’s privacy online, Congress enacted the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”), which sets forth rules and procedures governing the ways in which websites may collect, use, and disclose any personal information for children under the age of 13. Our website is not intended for children of 13 years of age. No one under the age of 13 may provide any personal information or sensitive personal information on our website. If you are under 13 years of age, do not use or provide any information on this Website or through any of its features, register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. In accordance with National University’s policy, COPPA regulations, and other statutory authority we DO NOT:
- Request or knowingly collect personally identifiable information online or offline contact information from users under 13 years of age; or knowingly use or share personal information from users under 13 years of age with third parties.
- Knowingly sell any information related to a minor under the age of 16 years of age, for any purpose.
It is possible that by fraud or deception we may receive, share, or sell information pertaining to minors under the age of 16 years of age. Once notified of this, we will verify the information, and we will immediately delete the information from our servers. The process for submitting a verified consumer request to correct, delete, know, confirm, and access any information collected, used, or shared is described below.
Individual Rights of the Data Subject under the EU GDPR
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organization.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review – if National University refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why.
- Right to complain – if you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by National University.
Individual Rights of the Data Subject in the United States
As a visitor of our Website, you retain the following rights with respect to the data we collect, use, sell, process, or share: (1) the right to opt-out and opt-in, (2) the right to limit, (3) the right to correct any data we have collected, (4) the right to delete any data we collected, (5) right to know what data we collect and the purposes in which it was used, (6) right to confirm what data we collect and access any data we have obtained, and (7) the right to appeal a decision on any verified consumer request.
Opt-in/Opt-out and Limit
We desire to keep you in control of the Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information you provide to National University. You can opt out or limit the collection, use, sale, processing, and sharing of all data we obtained from you for any and all purposes by clicking the following links:
If, at any time, you want to opt-in the collection and use of your personal information, please click the following link: Opt-In
If you supply us with your postal address online, you may receive periodic mailings from us with information on new products and services or upcoming events. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, please let us know by calling us at (800) NAT-UNIV.
Persons who supply us with their telephone numbers online will only receive telephone contact from us with information regarding orders they have placed online. If you would not like to be contacted, please provide us with your name and phone number to ensure that we remove the correct person from the list.
Verified Consumer Request
To effectuate your right to correct, delete, know, confirm and access; you must verify your identity and make a formal request. This can be completed through one of two ways.
First, you may click the following link:
Second, you may contact our Data Protection Officer, who can be contacted here:
Office of Information Technology, Information Security Office
9388 Lightwave Ave.
San Diego, California 92123
To appeal a decision regarding a consumer rights request by contacting us at [email protected]
If your request is denied, you may submit a complaint. If you reside outside of the United State of America, please contact [email protected] for assistance. If you reside in the United States of America, you may submit a complaint with your Attorney General. To contact your Attorney General, please find their information at the following link by selecting the state in which you reside: https://www.usa.gov/state-attorney-general.
Notwithstanding any language to the contrary, nothing contained herein constitutes nor is intended to constitute an offer, inducement, promise, or contract of any kind. The data contained herein is for informational purposes only and is not represented to be error free. Any links to information not owned by National University and/or its affiliates are provided as a courtesy. They are not intended to, nor do they constitute an endorsement by the National University and/or its affiliates of the linked materials, products, services, or information contained therein. National University and/or its affiliates do not have any control over the privacy practices of these websites or information, and all visitors of these websites should read and understand the policies and privacy practices for external sites.
National University is committed to complying with US copyright law and respecting the rights of copyright holders, while simultaneously defending the academic freedom of faculty and providing the optimal learning experience for students. Faculty and staff will make a good faith effort to only use or distribute third-party copyrighted materials as allowed by purchase, license, fair use, or other legal provision. Anyone who participates in the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material may be subject to civil and criminal liabilities, in addition to sanctions imposed by National University. For more information, please see the website of the US Copyright Office at www.copyright.gov, and the related frequently asked questions at www.copyright.gov/help/faq. Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512(c)(2), notice of claims of copyright infringement should be directed to [email protected]. For additional copyright-related information, please send an email to [email protected].
Lawful Basis for Collecting and Processing of Personal Information
Most of the collection and processing of personal data will include:
- Processing necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by National University and/or its affiliates or third parties in providing educational opportunities and employment.
- Processing necessary for the performance of a contract to which the subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract.
- Processing necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which National University and/or any of its affiliates is subject.
- Processing necessary to present our website and its contents to you.
- Processing necessary to provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- Processing necessary to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide or instruct.
- Processing necessary to notify you about changes to our website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- Processing necessary to allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- Processing necessary to contact you about NU goods and services that may be of interest to you.
- Processing necessary to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences.
- Processing for any other lawful bases.
National University and/or its affiliates will process and store personal data for no longer than it is necessary for the specified above purpose(s).
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted directly here:
Office of Information Technology, Information Security Office
9388 Lightwave Ave.
San Diego, California 92123