San Diego, California, is known for its mild year-round weather, its proximity to the Pacific, its natural beauty, and its laid-back lifestyle. That’s what makes this sunny, southern California region such a great place to live. With a burgeoning tech scene and other rapidly growing industries, San Diego is also an attractive place to look for work.
If you are living here or planning to relocate here, there’s a chance you might also want to explore San Diego higher education options. You’ll find several institutions nearby, including National University, the largest, private nonprofit university in the region. Veteran-founded, National is also a particularly appealing option for adult learners and for current and former servicemembers.
Top Industries in the San Diego Metropolitan Area
When considering schools and programs in the San Diego area, it’s helpful to know what industries are popular (and hiring). According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, some of the area’s top industries include:
- Entertainment and hospitality.
- Information and communications technology.
- Aerospace, navigation, and maritime technology.
- Biotechnology and pharmaceuticals.
- Biomedical devices and products.
- Publishing and marketing.
- Clean technology.
In a 2018 San Diego Magazine article, local experts shared what they thought would be “the next big thing” in the region. With fields like cybersecurity, blue tech (ocean-related), and genomics listed, it’s clear southern California is continuing to prove itself as a tech leader. It’s also worth noting San Diego is home to the largest concentration of military in the world. Several of these industries match up with the skills many servicemembers hone and master in the military, and this means veteran opportunities for post-service careers abound.
If your plan is to live and work in San Diego, higher education opportunities in these fields could be a good investment in your career. National University’s online degree programs align nicely with many of the region’s in-demand industries. We’ll discuss a few of these, below.
Information and Technology Industry and Degrees in San Diego
Silicon Valley is not the only hotbed for technology companies and start-ups in California. San Diego, home to Qualcomm, Intuit, and Viasat (among others), is an ideal destination for high-tech hires.
If the tech scene interests you, these tech- and computer-related online degree programs at National might appeal to you:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems.
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity.
- Master of Science in Data Science.
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management.
When thinking of veteran opportunities for former servicemembers living in San Diego, careers in cybersecurity, data science, and project management particularly stand out.
Health Careers in San Diego: Higher Education Options
Not only is San Diego home to many leading hospitals and healthcare systems, but it’s also a place in which you’ll find plenty of health innovation, from biomedical research to pharmaceutical manufacturing.
If you want to start or advance a career in healthcare, you might be interested in one of these online degrees offered by the School of Health and Human Services at National University:
- Bachelor of Science in Public Health.
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration.
- Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics.
- Master of Science in Nursing.
- Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching.
There are, of course, many other San Diego higher education options for those interested in all aspects of healthcare.
Business Degrees in San Diego
In this article, we already looked at tech and healthcare careers. Within both of those fields also live opportunities for business professionals of all kinds. If managing finances, leading a team, or growing an organization is your goal, these business-related online degrees at National could be options worth exploring:
- Bachelor of Science in Accountancy.
- Bachelor of Business Administration.
- Bachelor of Arts in Management.
- Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Master of Science in Business Analytics.
Additionally, business management programs with a focus on manufacturing or logistics might also be ideal.
Other Degrees and Career Fields
We covered online certificate and degree programs that fit nicely with some of San Diego’s largest industries, but many more career and job opportunities abound in the region, with degree programs to match. Our past article, “San Diego Universities: Options for Adult Learners” provides more information on starting or going back to school in San Diego.
To explore more San Diego higher education options, visit National University’s program finder page.