Covers ultrasonic shear wave inspection theory and the set-up and calibration for shear wave inspection using a Distance Amplitude Correction (DAC) curve or 80 percent Full Screen Height (FSH) flaw evaluation technique. Students gain practice inspecting a wide range of plate and pipe welds with known discontinuities. Students also learn to identify, evaluate, and categorize discontinuities as to their acceptance or rejection in accordance with various industry codes and standards.
- Apply the American Welding Society Structural Welding Code – Steel (AWS D1.1).
- Use and apply the American Petroleum Institute Welding of Pipelines and Related Facilities Code (API 1104).
- Describe the theory of ultrasonic shearwave testing and its advantages and disadvantages.
- Perform the calculations necessary to perform shearwave ultrasonic testing.
- Perform calibrations in accordance with AWS D1.1 and API 1104.
- Demonstrate and perform the procedures to conduct ultrasonic shearwave testing.
- Locate, map out, and evaluate discontinuities in accordance with the applicable code.
- Document and report test results.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.