Dive Operations I
Work underwater using surface supply diving to perform work underwater to develop underwater work skills and confidence. During this project-oriented course, students dive, tend, supervise, keep log records of dives, operate radios, and operate deck decompression chambers. Underwater, students solve problems in decompression, rigging, and maintenance; and are introduce to the use of hand, hydraulic and pneumatic tools used by divers.
- Demonstrate the ability to setup and do post check of the dive station
- Demonstrate the ability to properly dress out and tend a diver; and to perform umbilical management as a tender, and properly coil diving hose using over/under and figure eight methods.
- Demonstrate the ability to properly use operating procedures, standard checklists, and safety rules.
- While being suspended mid-water, blacked out, demonstrate the ability to tie seven of the most common knots used in the diving industry within a period of ten minutes or less.
- Demonstrate diving proficiency in conducting a bottom search.
- Demonstrate the ability to measure items located on the bottom using only diver’s body parts
- Demonstrate the ability to use underwater lift bags by properly attaching lift bags to selected items on the bottom and bring the item safely up or to the surface.
- Join two suspended 8& pipe elbows, install a gasket and 8 studs and nuts, and tighten nuts, while working mid water. Studs or nuts dropped to the bottom will be found and recovered by the diver as part of his/her project time.
- Demonstrate the ability to function as a dive team member
Dive Log Commercial Personal Dive Log – To properly record all dives
Personal Safety Equipment – Safety glasses, Hardhats, Work gloves (leather), Knife (big chief or rigging knife), Boots (steel toed), Work clothing (long pants, etc.), Hearing protection – Student provided
Personal Diving Equipment – Wet suit, weight belt and weights, fins, booties, gloves, 12& adjustable wrench, bottom boots, etc. – Student provided
Personal Equipment – Calculator and wristwatch divers.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.