Covers the physical effects of working underwater on the diver’s body by factors such as air, sound, and light, with detailed emphasis on pressure and temperature and calculation of formulas to solve diving problems related to physics.
- Describe the characteristics of matter and the components of air and the relationship to hydrostatic and hyperbaric pressure.
- State the gas laws (Boyles, Charles, Daltons, Henrys, Amonton’s -Gay-Lussac’s) and explain the practical application in diving.
- Explain buoyancy as related to Archimedes principle and calculate lift capacities in salt and fresh water.
- Explain the effects of light in water and the relationship of factors such as depth, density, and turbidity, and refraction.
- Explain the effects of sound in the water environment and procedures to prevent diver injury.
- Explain the theory of decompression and the need for decompression procedures.
- Select proper decompression tables and schedules using the U.S. Navy Decompression Tables; to decompress divers using in-water air decompression, in-water oxygen decompression, surface decompression, perform repetitive dives, and the various emergency procedures related to decompression procedures.
- Explain how to resolve omitted decompression issues during decompression, surface intervals, or during chamber surface decompression.
- Explain the theory of altitude diving and procedures to follow for flying after diving.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.