EMT I Basic
EMT I Basic
Basics of an Emergency Medical Technicians’ advanced first aid skills needed by Commercial divers. Basic anatomy and physiology as related to emergency medical technician with emphasis on the: nervous system, cardiovascular system, and respiratory system. Also the student will learn to properly assess the sick and injured, as related to communicable diseases and trauma, practical skills of Basic Life Support (BLS) cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), taking blood pressures, pulses, respiratory rates, lung sounds, and complete body checks, and administration of oxygen and the use of various adjuncts to assist in the management of an injured person’s airway are included.
- Demonstrate proficiency at all skills required by California title 22 scope of practice and national registry for emergency medical technician I (EMT-1).
- Perform advanced CPR and obstructed airway maneuvers using basic airway adjuncts on the adult, pediatric and infant.
- Explain the legal and ethical issues of EMS.
- Demonstrate the ability to properly document both the medical and trauma patient.
- Explain how to properly communicate with patient, co-workers, family members, other allied agencies.
- Describe the basic structure and function of the human body, including basic anatomy, physiology of all the body systems.
- Demonstrate use of basic medical terminology, pharmacology, and medical abbreviations.
- Perform a patient assessment on both the medical and trauma patient.
- Perform Oxygen administration using a BVM, NRB and nasal cannula.
- Obtain Vital Signs including blood pressure, pulse, respirations, lung sounds, pupil reaction, and level of consciousness.
- Demonstrate the proper methods of lifting and moving patients.
Clothing and watch: Proper EMT clothing that can be worn for ambulance ride along. A personal watch with second hand for timing events and vitals.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.