An introductory survey course covering current developments and future prospects in the field of computing. Coverage begins with the fundamentals of computer architecture and progresses to software and software development processes. Topics included are operating systems, networking, programming languages, software engineering, database systems, and ethical issues in computing.
- Describe data storage and representation of data within a computer.
- State the purpose of Central Processing Unit (CPU) and its components. Explain how it works.
- Discuss some of the ethical/social/legal issues associated with the field of computing.
- Discuss fundamental concepts and activities related to operating systems.
- Explain fundamental concepts related to computer networking and security issues.
- Define algorithm and write pseudocode for some elementary sorting and searching algorithms.
- Define algorithm efficiency.
- Identify different programming paradigms and state their essential features.
- Describe the essential elements of software engineering discipline.
- Discuss fundamental design issues related to database systems and construct some basic SQL queries.
- Prepare and make a professional presentation.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Engineering and Computing
“The School of Engineering and Computing fosters student creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship in classes taught by subject matter experts who actively practice what they teach.”School of Engineering and Computing