Learn to successfully teach and impact the lives of students who have mild to moderate learning support needs with National University’s Preliminary Education Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate (M/M) with Internship Option (CA) program. This program explores the range of educational learning challenges and applies the latest teaching strategies to enhance the performance of students, no matter their abilities. The Preliminary Education Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate is aligned to the standards of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and the Teaching Expectations (TPEs) established for mild/moderate (M/M).
The Preliminary Education Specialist Authorization Teaching Credential Program is currently operating using credential guidelines for California only. Students who wish to use this program for credential in other states must contact the appropriate regulatory board for more information. Students who reside outside of California who wish to participate in the program will need to receive special permission.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Integrate knowledge/skills to create and sustain learning environments for TK-12 learners with M/M that support inclusive practices under the Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework, principles of universal design, and positive behavioral and social-emotional supports
- Integrate knowledge/skills to provide individualized support for all TK-12 learners with M/M from diverse backgrounds with a wide spectrum of physical, sensory, developmental, academic, behavioral, and social emotional needs
- Integrate knowledge/skills to make subject matter accessible and comprehensible for all TK-12 learners with M/M through a collaborative multidisciplinary team approach
- Integrate knowledge needed to use a strength-based, continuous improvement, and evidence-based framework to design and plan inclusive learning activities for all TK-12 learners with M/M
- Integrate knowledge/skills to administer and analyze formal and informal assessments to determine eligibility, inform instruction, and identify research-based interventions for all TK-12 learners with M/M
- Integrate the knowledge to meet legal, ethical, and professional obligations as an educational specialist and advocate for TK-12 learners with M/M and as a member of professional learning communities
- Reflect critically on the application of professional beliefs and teaching/learning principles necessary to work collaboratively with TK-12 learners with M/M, families, other professionals, and community members
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.