The Master of Education in Special Education with a Preliminary Education Specialist Credential: Mild/Moderate (M/M) provides you with the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective teacher and have a profound impact on the lives of students. This program is aligned with the Education Specialist Authorizations and standards of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). You’ll gain a professional understanding of the needs of diverse learners, explore the range of learning challenges for students, and implement strategies that improve student performance, regardless of ability.
This program is for professionals who are interested in advancing into leadership roles, or those who want to strengthen instructional strategies. Through this program, you are also eligible to receive a credential as part of the master’s degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Create and sustain learning environments that support inclusive practices under the Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework, principles of universal design, and positive behavioral and social-emotional supports.
- Provide individualized support for all TK-12 learners with M/M from diverse backgrounds with a wide spectrum of physical, sensory, developmental, academic, behavioral and social-emotional needs
- Make subject matter accessible and comprehensible through a collaborative multidisciplinary team approach.
- Use a strength-based, continuous improvement, and evidence-based framework to design and plan inclusive learning activities.
- Administer and analyze formal and informal assessments to determine eligibility, inform instruction, and identify research-based interventions.
- Integrate the knowledge to meet legal, ethical, and professional obligations as an educational specialist and advocate.
- Reflect critically on the application of professional beliefs and teaching/learning principles necessary to work collaboratively with TK-12 learners with M/M, families, other professionals and community members
- Critique current research in special credential area and a diverse student population.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education