Learn how to work with and teach students who fall within the Autism Spectrum Disorder with National University’s Autism Specialist Online Certification. The four-course sequence is designed to provide you with an orientation to the terms and the characteristics involved, assessment and behavior management interaction strategies, a variety of teaching strategies, and necessary skills in collaborating with parents and families of those in the spectrum. It is recommended that students complete EXC 621 first in the sequence.
Credentialed teachers who are interested in using this program to enhance their knowledge of teaching those in the field should contact a Credential Program Specialist.
Professionals in other fields such as social work, nursing, and child development can also complete the coursework for professional growth units or a National University certificate.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the background and orientation of the terms included in the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) category.
- Demonstrate an understanding of federal and state laws, legislation, and judicial decisions regarding children with autism.
- Demonstrate competence in recognizing behaviors and utilizing assessments that identify children as having autism.
- Demonstrate competence and understanding in using behavioral analysis to manage and change behaviors of children with autism.
- Demonstrate understanding of differing evidence-based program strategies for teaching students with autism.
- Demonstrate the competence to organize a structured classroom, to collect relevant data on behavioral outcomes, and to implement identified evidence-based strategies for a class that includes students that fall within the spectrum.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education