This course will prepare professionals in the juvenile justice system to examine the ethical problems associated with working in the area of special education within a juvenile justice system, or in a variety of settings, including public schools, alternative schools, residential treatment centers and incarcerated youth confined by the juvenile justice system.
- Analyze various family systems and the role of the families in the educational and judicial process.
- Interpret the responsibilities of the legal, judicial and educational systems serving individuals with emotional/behavioral disorders and other special education categories, placed in out of school facilities.
- Evaluate the variations in beliefs, traditions, and values across and within cultures and their effects on relationships among individuals with exceptional learning needs.
- Develop strategies to facilitate integration into various settings, particularly in the juvenile justice and mental health settings.
- Analyze how teachers and other authority figures’ attitudes and behaviors influence the behavior of individuals with exceptional learning needs.
- Evaluate legal provisions and ethical principles regarding assessment of individuals and practice within the CEC Code of Ethics and other standards of the profession.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies