The Certificate in Forensic and Crime Scene Investigation (FCSI) is designed to prepare you to enter the field of forensic and crime scene investigation, and for those currently in the field as law enforcement personnel, criminal investigators, evidence technicians, forensic nurses, prosecutors, attorneys, judges, and other members of the multidisciplinary team involved in criminal investigation who would like to further develop their skills and expertise. If you want to attend crime scene investigator school to pursue a master’s degree, you may be able to apply some or all the academic credits awarded in the certificate program toward the MFS degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate understanding of basic human anatomy, component of death investigation and techniques used for analysis of diseases and trauma, and identification of unknown dead bodies.
- Differentiate the characteristic features of the various types of violent death with the circumstances under which those deaths occur and to meaningfully interact with the forensic pathologist and medico-legal death investigators.
- Demonstrate and describe the basic principles and the role of crime scene investigators in forensic and legal procedures.
- Identify, collect, transport, preserve, and explain the evidentiary value of physical evidence including chain of custody.
- Explain & use the investigative techniques utilized in the processing, and interpretation of evidence of computer and multimedia (video, image, audio) forensics, and the application of the field in both the criminal and civil arenas.
- Demonstrate understanding of friction ridge skin differential development and how it applies to the classification of fingerprints and the methodology used in forensic individualization.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences