As a paralegal, you’ll be an invaluable part of a legal team, helping to investigate the facts of a case, research relevant laws and regulations, prepare legal memoranda, prepare evidence, draft documents for attorney review, and prepare cases for trial. The Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies will provide you with the professional skills you need to serve your legal community effectively and ethically as a paralegal or legal assistant.
Approved by the American Bar Association for online, as well as onsite at our Los Angeles, COC, and Cerritos College campuses. The program combines a comprehensive academic curriculum with practical education in the role of the paralegal in a legal environment.
You’ll learn to articulate legal theory and apply it ethically to legal professional practice. You’ll learn all about the American legal system and become proficient in legal terminology and writing. You’ll also learn to identify legal issues, apply basic legal analysis, and conduct legal research using traditional and online methods.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Describe the American legal system and major areas of the law, such as Torts, Contracts, Property, and others, and understand the legal terminology in those areas.
- Identify and apply proper legal remedies in the context of a legal problem.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills and the ability to convey relevant information to attorneys, clients, witnesses, and other persons.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist with preparing legal documents, and handling pre-trial and trial preparation tasks.
- Perform paralegal tasks competently in a law office, corporate law department, governmental agency, judicial setting, or other comparable legal environment.
- Articulate applicable ethics laws and codes of ethical conduct.
Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law. Students must take at least nine semester credits or the equivalent of legal specialty courses through synchronous instruction.Meet Our Faculty
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.