Be in the communications center between hardware and software by enrolling in the Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering degree program. The program’s curriculum focuses on the theories, principles, and practices of traditional electrical engineering and mathematics and applies them to the design of computers and computer-based devices — the devices that now seem to run the world.
Throughout the computer and electrical engineering degree program, you’ll study the design and development of both digital hardware systems and the software that enables that hardware — and how both users and other hardware interact with those systems. Because clean computer engineering is at the heart of how hardware and software work together, a central focus will be on embedded systems that rely on both, such as cell phones, digital audio players, digital video recorders, alarm systems, x-ray machines, and laser surgical tools. Your analytical thinking and design skills will be encouraged and developed in the pursuit of the finest integration of the devices making a profound difference in everyday life.
In support of the mission of National University, the educational objective of the BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering program is to prepare graduates to achieve success in one or more of the following with a few years after graduation:
- Succeed in pursuing a chosen career path and demonstrate technical competence in utilizing electrical and computer engineering principles and skills in industry, academia, or the public sector.
- Engage in sustained learning through graduate education, professional development, and self-study in engineering and other professionally related fields.
- Function successfully on a diverse and multidisciplinary team with effective communication skills.
- Exhibit leadership, high standards of ethical conduct, and societal responsibility in the practice of engineering.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering to solve problems.
- Analyze and interpret data.
- Design a component, a system, or a process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints.
- Function on a team and be able to communicate orally and in writing to accomplish a common goal.
- Identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- Use professional ethics in making engineering decisions.
- Identify the impact of engineering solutions in a global and economic environment.
- Use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.