A man and a woman, both in camo uniforms, talk in front of a building

Military and Veterans

Military and Veteran Online College Admissions

National University was founded in 1971 by retired U.S. Navy Capt. David Chigos. Today, through our military-friendly online college admissions, we proudly serve active-duty and Veteran students from all military branches who are earning their college degrees at home, on base, and abroad.

Yellow ribbon program participant
best value for vets college 2021

Military Degree Programs

As San Diego’s largest private nonprofit university, we offer 190+ degree programs and tuition discounts for military personnel, Veterans, and their dependents. Our, bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral, and certificate programs have been designed specifically for military students and are offered online, on-site, and on over a dozen military bases, so you can attend class without disrupting your duties.

Our four-week course structure was created to make earning your degree accessible and achievable, one month at a time, so you can start sooner, and finish our military-friendly degree programs faster.

Military Branch Resources

National University offers several benefits for our military students. Find your military branch’s tuition, benefits, additional resources, and other branch-specific information.

Veteran-Friendly Online College

As a Veteran-friendly online college and Yellow Ribbon school, we accept the post-9/11 GI Bill®. In addition, our Veteran Center provides guidance and support to help ease the transition from military to civilian life. National University has been designated a Military Friendly School (MFS) Gold Level in the category of Private offering Doctorate for 2022-2023.

What is a Yellow Ribbon school?

A university in the Yellow Ribbon program can help pay for higher out-of-state or private school tuition and fees beyond your Post-9/11 GI Bill. This program is available for both full-time and part-time students. Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program.

VA Education Benefits

NU’s Veterans Affairs Office will process applications based on the current class schedule. The typical processing time for these applications is approximately 6-8 weeks. VA payments are distributed through the Veterans Affairs Department directly to the student. Learn more about VA benefits here.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs government website.

College Credit for Military Training

National University offers transfer-friendly degree programs to help you maximize as many previously-earned credits as possible, including college credits from other accredited institutions, professional or technical certifications, and military training and experience.

For more than 40 years, National University has proudly served active-duty and Veteran students from all military branches who are earning their college degrees at home, on base, and abroad. As a military-friendly college and Yellow Ribbon school, NU accepts the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. In addition, our Veteran Center provides support and guidance to help ease the transition from military to civilian life. For more information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, check out our Post-9/11 GI Bill checklist.

To learn more about transferring to NU, contact our Veteran’s Affairs Office at (858) 541-7970 or [email protected].

Frequently Asked Questions

If you can’t find the information you need on our website or this list of common questions, please get in touch with one of our dedicated military admissions advisors at 855-355-6288 or [email protected].

A: Yes, National University has a regular enrollment cycle, and students can begin taking classes at the beginning of any month, year-round, for your convenience.

A: All National University students are assigned an academic advisor to guide them through course completion and answer any questions they may have during their studies. Also, your Education Service Officer will be able to assist you in matters pertaining to your advanced education pursuit.

A: While having your own computer for your distance learning pursuits is not required, it is recommended. As long as you have access to a computer with an ISP, an active email account, and Internet Explorer, you will be able to participate in the online courses. View the online technical requirements for more information about online course requirements.

A: National University recognizes that many people have gained relevant knowledge and experience that can be applied to an academic curriculum. We’ll help you apply the maximum credits possible to your degree program, including previous coursework, exams, and military training documented by your service branch and approved by ACE.
Personnel who want to accelerate their academic programs may want to consider course-challenge examinations or the standardized examinations available through

  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Regents College Examinations (formerly ACT/PEP)
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DANTES/SST)

A: Yes. As long as you have an Internet service provider (ISP) for the computer, you will be working on and an active email account, you should be able to continue your degree while in the field or at sea.

A: Due to the intensive one-month-long course schedule, we recommend that students take only one course at a time. There are exceptions that will be made, but, for the most part, students take one course at a time.

A: Yes. In addition to the military tuition discount, there are scholarships for military students that can be found in the financial aid section, and many Federal resources are available, like the GI Bill®. Learn more about military grants and scholarship opportunities here.

A: The best place to start is by talking to your Education Services Officer (ESO), who can direct you to the proper forms and application processes for Federal loans and qualifying for TA. A National University Enrollment Services representative can also provide information about your tuition assistance options. See Veterans Affairs and Financial Aid for additional information.

A: Yes, Active-duty military personnel and their dependents are eligible to receive discounted rates when they take courses online, on location, or on base.

A: Please visit the Veterans Affairs website for specific information about how to apply your VA benefits to advance your education at National University

A: Yes, you can use your GI Bill benefits for a master’s degree, as long as you already have a bachelor’s degree. The Gi bill provides a maximum of 36 months of full-time enrollment.

Yes, you can enroll in a doctoral program and use your GI Bill benefits. The Gi bill provides a maximum of 36 months of full-time enrollment variety of academic programs.