Emergency Medical Responder
Introduction to the basics of Emergency Medical Responder requirements; including medical and trauma skills, basic anatomy and physiology as related to EMR requirements. Student will learn to properly assess and begin treatment of the sick and injured, including cognitive and practical skills of Healthcare Provider Level CPR, taking blood pressures, pulses, respiratory rates, and the use of simple adjuncts to assist in the management of an injured person’s airway. Additional Emergency Medical Responder skills, including advanced first aid skills: bandaging, splinting, and spinal immobilization techniques, and safe methods of moving the injured and ill while awaiting a higher level of medical care. Trauma and psychiatric emergencies are also covered, as well as all basic life-saving skills. Students will be tested on assessment the sick and injured, blood pressures, pulses, respiratory rates, proper bandaging and wound care, splinting, and spinal immobilization techniques.
- Describe the basic structure and function of the human body, including basic anatomy, physiology of the major body systems.
- Explain how to effectively communicate with patients, co-workers, family members, other allied agencies.
- Demonstrate the proper methods of lifting and moving patients.
- Obtain vital signs including blood pressure, pulse, respirations, and level of consciousness.
- Perform a patient assessment and develop a field treatment plan for the medical patient.
- Perform a patient assessment and develop a field treatment plan for trauma patient.
- Perform one and two rescuer CPR and obstructed airway maneuvers using basic airway adjuncts on the adult, pediatric and infant.
- Determine the need for and apply proper spinal immobilization, splints, bandages, and hemorrhage control methods.
- Describe the role of the EMR in a Haz-Mat or mass casualty incident.
- Assist a laboring patient with an emergency delivery including basic care of the newborn.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.