EMT I Basic
Introduction to the basics of Emergency Medical Technician requirements; including medical and trauma skills, basic anatomy and physiology as related to EMT requirements. Student will learn to properly assess the sick and injured, as related to communicable diseases and trauma. Student will learn practical skills of Basic Life Support (BLS), taking blood pressures, pulses, respiratory rates, lung sounds, and complete body checks, administration of oxygen and the use of various adjuncts to assist in the management of an injured person’s airway.
- Describe the basic structure and function of the human body, including basic anatomy, physiology of all the body systems.
- Demonstrate use of basic medical terminology, pharmacology, and medical abbreviations.
- Explain the legal and ethical issues of EMS.
- Demonstrate the ability to properly document pre-hospital care.
- Explain how to effectively communicate with patient, co-workers, family members, other allied agencies.
- Demonstrate the proper methods of lifting and moving patients.
- Obtain vital signs including blood pressure, pulse, respirations, lung sounds, pupil reaction, and level of consciousness.
- Perform oxygen administration using a BVM, NRB and nasal cannula.
- Perform a patient assessment and develop a field treatment plan for the medical patient.
Clothing and watch: Proper EMT clothing that can be worn for ambulance ride along. A personal watch with second hand for timing events and vitals.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.