Kerry J. - Class of 2018, Military Veteran

Military FAQs

Kerry J. - Class of 2018, Military Veteran

If you can’t find the information you need within our website or this list of common questions, please contact a dedicated military admissions advisor at 855-355-6288 or [email protected].

Common Questions

Q: Can I enroll in courses at any time?

A: Yes, National University has an regular enrollment cycles, and students can begin taking classes at the beginning of any month, year round for your convenience.

Q: Will I be assigned an advisor who can help me whenever I have questions?

A: All National University students are assigned an academic advisor to guide them through course completion and answer any questions they may have during their studies. Also, your Education Service Officer will be able to assist you in matters pertaining to your advanced education pursuit.

Q: Do I have to own a computer to do distance learning?

A: While it is not required to have your own computer for your distance learning pursuits, it is recommended. As long as you have access to computer with an ISP, an active email account, and Internet Explorer, you will be able to participate in the online courses. View the online technical requirements for more information about online course requirements.

Q: Can I take CLEP and other tests for credit toward a degree?

A: National University recognizes that many people have gained relevant knowledge and experience that can be applied to an academic curriculum. We’ll help you apply the maximum credits possible to your degree program, including previous coursework, exams, and military training documented by your service branch and approved by ACE.

Personnel who want to accelerate their academic programs may want to consider course-challenge examinations or the standardized examinations available through:

  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Regents College Examinations (formerly ACT/PEP)
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DANTES/SST)

Q: Can I continue my degree while in the field or at sea?

A: Yes. As long as you have an Internet service provider (ISP) for the computer you will be working on and an active email account, you should be able to continue your degree while in the field or at sea.

Q: How many courses can I take at a time?

A: Due to the intensive one-month long course schedule, we recommend that students take only one course at a time. There are exceptions that will be made, but, for the most part, students take one course at a time.

Q: Will tuition assistance cover the costs for studying at NU?

A: Yes. In addition to the military tuition discount, there are also scholarships for military students that can be found in the financial aid section, and there are many Federal resources available like the GI Bill®.

Q: Where do I start to apply for financial aid or Tuition Assistance?

A: The best place to start is by talking to your Education Services Officer (ESO), who can direct you to the proper forms and application processes for Federal loans and qualifying for TA. A National University Enrollment Services representative can also provide information about your tuition assistance options. See Veteran’s Affairs and Financial Aid for additional information.

Q: Can dependents of active-duty military personnel receive discounts when studying at NU?

A: Yes, active-duty military personnel and their dependents are eligible to receive discounted rates when they take courses online, on location, or on base.

Q: How do I use my VA benefits?

A: Please visit the Veteran’s Affairs website for specific information about how to apply your VA benefits to advance your education at National University.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at